World’s only laser ablation system in production use on flight-critical surfaces
Lasertronics has developed unique scanning and control technologies that for the first time make laser ablation a practical alternative to blasting, traditional abrasives and solvents for removing coatings of any kind, from any substrate.
Our pulse-by-pulse closed-loop control enables fast and thorough stripping of coatings, using powerful off-the-shelf industrial lasers. Our color-selective workhead allows stripping directly to the substrate or to intermediate layers.
Benefits of Lasertronics’ Unique Ablation System
- Safe for Any Substrate: Absolutely safe for any substrate – no risk of damage as with scraping, sanding, solvents, or media blast. No risk of overheating as with open-loop lasers.
- Complete: Cleans any visible surface, regardless of complexity, with zero residue.
- Unprecedented Control: Selectively removes specific layers from multi-layer coatings, leaving the rest undisturbed.
- Fast: Replaces manual labor with 10X faster process.
- Savings: Significant reduction in labor, out-of-service time, and disposal costs.
- Easy Access: Flexible work head allows easy access to cramped spaces. Optional video camera enables remote use.
- Reduce Injuries: Replaces repetitive-stress manual labor.
- Portable and Flexible: Small, light-weight, portable unit runs on standard shop power.
- Adaptable: System is compatible with manual or robotic applications.
- Green: Allows capture of stripped toxic and radioactive material in HEPA paper filter for easy control and inexpensive disposal, keeping it out of air and water.
- Clean: Reduces waste stream to 10% of the volume generated by conventional stripping techniques.
- Aircraft Maintenance – Fixed Wing & Rotary: Strip corrosion, paints and sealants; repair multi-layer surfaces including low observables.
- Ship Maintenance – Surface & Submarine: Strip corrosion, paints and adhesives from any surface; prepare weldments for NDI.
- Composite Manufacturing: Prepare composite surfaces to accept coatings without use of abrasives, peel-ply or solvents.
- Radioactive Decontamination: Decontaminate to free release.
- US FAA Endorsement
The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration has endorsed the use of Lasertronics as the first and only laser coating removal system for all aluminum aircraft.
- US DOD Maintenance Excellence Award
The Office of the Secretary of Defense awarded Lasertronics the 2009 Maintenance Excellence medal for its Automatic Rotor Blade Stripping System at the Navy’s Fleet Readiness Center-East at Cherry Point, NC.
- Defense Manufacturing Excellence Award
The Aerospace Industries Association (AIA) presented the 2010 Defense Manufacturing Excellence Award to Lasertronics and our partners to recognize outstanding cooperative efforts in new technology development between government, industry, and academia.